You speak, we listen, we act

01205 820 892

How to make a Complaint about Health and Care Services

Most medical care and treatment goes well, but things occasionally go wrong, and you may want to complain. So where do you start?
How to complain pic

Healthwatch Lincolnshire can help you find a service; signpost you to other support available; help you to access advocacy support to help you with making a complaint or speaking up about a service; and act on your experience of a service.  However, if you have had a below par experience please do complain, this is how providers of health and care services improve as they learn from what you tell them.

There are 2 steps to follow:

Step One – with the provider- You should raise a complaint with the service first, this is the most important place to talk to about what has gone wrong.  Ask for the Manager or their complaints team.  You can make a formal complaint in writing  or in person.  You may want to firstly think about what you would like to happen about your complaint e.g. an apology and include this in any information you give.

Step Two if you do not feel your complaint has been dealt with properly or to your satisfaction, you then have some other options.  Who you contact will depend upon what sort of complaint you have.  This is where Healthwatch Lincolnshire can help guide you to the right place to go.  Below is a list of organisations, if you are still not sure please contact us for help.

Healthwatch Lincolnshire

Healthwatch Lincolnshire is the public voice on health and social care in Lincolnshire.

When it comes to health and social care, we all want the best services we can get. Now, through Healthwatch Lincolnshire, you can make a real difference to the way services are set up and run.

Healthwatch Lincolnshire has the role to listen and the power to significantly influence change within the health and social care system.

Click here to learn more about us

If You Are Still Not Happy

If you still unhappy after receiving a response, you can complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. You can contact the Ombudsman on 0345 015 4033 (calls to this number cost the same as a call to a UK landline) 8.30am – 5.30pm, Monday – Friday.

You can also request a call back. Just text ‘call back’ with your name and your mobile number to 07624 813 005 (charged at your standard text rate) and they will call you back within one working day during their office hours.

Alternatively, you can email your complaint to:, fax it to: 0300 061 4000 or write to: The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower, Millbank, London   SW1P 4QP