Article written by Thomas George - Active Parkrun Enthusiast
What is parkrun? parkrun is a FREE, weekly, community-led, 5km (5000m) - walk, jog, run, volunteer or spectate. We all participate in parkrun for our own enjoyment. Please come along and join in!
When is parkrun? Every Saturday at 9.00am (Sunday at 9.00am for junior parkrun)
Where is parkrun? There are 14 parkruns in Lincolnshire (12 parkruns on Saturday; 2 junior parkruns on Sunday)
What does it cost to join parkrun? Nothing - it's absolutely FREE. But please register online before you participate. You only ever need to register once with parkrun. Just don’t forget to bring a printed copy of your barcode. No barcode, no time. www.parkrun.org.uk/register/
Getting to parkrun: Please, wherever possible, we encourage you to walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending your local parkrun. If you have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users.
Parking and Facilities at parkrun: Parking and facilities will vary from parkrun to parkrun, so please read the local parkrun website for specific information.
Volunteering at parkrun: parkrun is entirely organised by volunteers. If you are able to help for a couple of hours on the weekend please email your local parkrun and you will be supported by an experienced team of volunteers. If you are looking to complete volunteering hours, for example The Duke of Edinburgh Award, then parkrun is a great opportunity to support your local community.
Benefits of parkrun: Research has shown that participating in parkrun results in:
- Improvements in mental health
- Improvements in happiness – particularly volunteering
- Increased sense of achievement
- Improvements in physical health
- Improvements in physical fitness
We are friendly at parkrun: Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee/ tea/ breakfast at our local café. This is a friendly community to be part of so please come and join us!
Free, accessible, fun, weekly physical activity (walk, jog or run) and volunteering.
Lincolnshire junior parkruns (4-14 year olds):
- Wyndham junior parkrun (Grantham) www.parkrun.org.uk/wyndham-juniors/
- Boston Road Recreation junior parkrun (Sleaford) www.parkrun.org.uk/bostonroadrec-juniors/
Lincolnshire parkruns (all ages, under 11 need to be with parent/ guardian):
- Lincoln parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/lincoln/
- Cleethorpes parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/cleethorpes/
- Gainsborough parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/gainsborough/
- Belton House parkrun (Grantham) www.parkrun.org.uk/beltonhouse/
- Boston parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/boston/
- Rutland Water parkrun (Rutland) www.parkrun.org.uk/rutlandwater/
- Scunthorpe parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/scunthorpe/
- Normanby Hall parkrun (Scunthorpe) www.parkrun.org.uk/normanbyhall/
- Market Rasen Racecourse parkrun www.parkrun.org.uk/marketrasenracecourse/
- Snowden Field parkrun (Crowland) www.parkrun.org.uk/snowdenfield/
- Skegness Boating Lake parkrun (Skegness) www.parkrun.org.uk/skegnessboatinglake/
- Doddington Hall parkrun (Lincoln) www.parkrun.org.uk/doddingtonhall/